Weekend Guide for Marylands Happenings 01/12-01/15
Looking for something fun to do around Maryland on this long weekend? Take the pain out of planning by checking out our list!
Our weekend guide is filled with an exciting variety of things to do! Whether you are looking for family friendly fun to keep the little ones entertained, or a unique event catered toward adults only, there is plenty of fun to be had by all!
1. 1964 - The Tribute
January 12, 2018
Weinberg Center for the Arts
20 W Patrick St, Frederick, MD 21701
This event is acclaimed by fans and critics to be the most authentic and endearing Beatles tribute bands around. The tribute uses period clothing, instruments, hairstyles, and banter to recreate an early “Fab Four” concert experience. Rolling Stone calls it the “best Beatles tribute on Earth” and I promise you’re not going to want to miss it!
2. Beauty and the Beast
January 13 2018 (ASL and sensory friendly performance)
January 14 2018 (Tea with Bell and regular performance)
12:30pm-1:30pm with performance at 2pm
Children’s Theatre of Annapolis
1661 Bay Head, Annapolis, MD 21409
Come watch the magical movie come to life on stage! Enjoy a pre-show tea party with Belle and her friends. Tickets include light fare, meet & greet with some of our Beauty and the Beast characters, & priority show seating.
3. Bethesda Restaurant Week
January 12 2018 - January 21 2018
Prix Fixe Lunch or Three Course Dinner (times vary)
Montgomery County, MD
Cost: $15-$27 for lunch/ $25-$40 for dinner
Come and enjoy a taste of Maryland with this event that lets you eat your way through top restaurants! Most of the participating restaurants are located in Bethesda, Rockville, Potomac, and Silver Spring. Bethesda-Montgomery County Restaurant Week presented by Bethesda Magazine and is sponsored by the Bethesda Urban Partnership. Here is a list of the participating restaurants!
- Barrel + Crow – 4867 Cordell Ave, Bethesda, MD (240) 800-3253. A contemporary approach to regional cuisine sourced from regional farms.
- Black’s Bar & Kitchen – 7750 Woodmont Ave, Bethesda, MD (301) 652-5525. A member of the Black Restaurant Group, Blacks’ Bar & Kitchen is a Bethesda staple known for regional flavors and award-winning wine list.
- Guardado’s Restaurant – 4918 Del Ray Ave, Bethesda, MD (301) 986-4920. The family run restaurant serves up authentic dishes from Spain and Latin America.
- Jaleo Bethesda – 7271 Woodmont Ave, Bethesda, MD (301) 913-0003. The restaurant’s bold and stylish design capture contemporary Spain while serving the award-winning tapas José Andrés made famous.
- Kapnos Kouzina - 4900 Hampden Ln, Bethesda, MD (301) 986-8500. Mike Isabella’s first Maryland restaurant focuses on rustic dishes and shareable platters.
- Le Vieux Logis - 7925 Old Georgetown Rd., Bethesda, MD (301) 652-6812. A family run restaurant featuring the flavors and vitality of the Champagne region of France.
- Mon Ami Gabi - 7239 Woodmont Ave. Bethesda, MD (301) 654-1234. A traditional French bistro serving up warm Onion Soup Au Gratin with bubbling baked gruyere, steak frites and an extensive French wine list.
- Morton’s Steakhouse – 7400 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda, MD (301) 657-2650. A step back in time, this classic steakhouse prides itself on their USDA prime-aged steaks and fresh seafood.
- Mussel Bar & Grille - 7262 Woodmont Ave. Bethesda, MD (301) 718-6378. An old-world Belgian roadhouse serving grilled and wood-fired dishes of meats, fish and pizzas along with an expansive Belgian beer list.
- PassionFish - 7187 Woodmont Ave, Bethesda, MD (301) 358-6116. Devoted to serving the freshest seafood available, the menu offers a raw bar, caviar, sushi and more.
- Persimmon - 7003 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda, MD (301) 654-9860. This bistro serves elevated American cuisine including jumbo lump crab cakes, pan seared sea scallops and pecan crusted barbequed lamb.
- Raku - Bethesda Row, 7240 Woodmont Ave, Bethesda, MD (301) 718-8610. Led by a kitchen of well-seasoned chefs, Raku offers original creations of bento boxes, sushi rolls and noodle soups.
- Silver - 7150 Woodmont Ave. Bethesda, MD (301) 652-9780. An American classic with familiar diner favorites as well as healthier choices from more than a dozen local farms.
- True Food Kitchen – 7100 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda, MD (240) 200-1257. Brimming with healthful recipes and catering to nearly every food preference enjoy expansive creativity while eating well.
4. Dance After Dark - A Dance Fitness Party
January 14 2018
6pm - 11pm
Half Note Restaurant and Lounge
4881 Glenn Dale Road, Bowie, MD 20720
Join in on the fun with dancing, drinking and dining! If you love dance fitness thats fun and easy to follow grouped with an adult club atmosphere, then this is the event for you! If you arent really into working out, youre welcome to grab a seat at the bar or restaurant and enjoy the festivities! All are welcome! The venue is a lounge and restaurant with a huge dance floor. You are welcome to join in on the dancing or just mix and mingle! Either way, its sure to be a blast!
5. I Have A Dream Weekend
January 13 - January 15
10am - 5pm
Port Discovery Children's Museum
35 Marketplace, Baltimore, MD 21202
Come celebrate Martin Luther King Jr’s life and legacy by engaging in hands on activities that explore African American history and heritage! There will be lots of activities over the weekend including learning about the important history of the Negro Baseball League, designing and making a quilt square with the Baltimore African American Quilters, creating a birthday card of Martin Luther King Jr while also joining in on interactive story times featuring short stories about King, and even learning about African American inventors! At the end of the weekend, there will be a special Living Museum performance by students dressed as several important African American individuals, frozen in time, waiting to bring their stories to life!
6. Faberge and the Russian Crafts Tradition - An Empires Legacy
January 12 2018 - May 17 2018
10am - 5pm
The Walters Art Museum
600 N Charles St, Baltimore, MD 21201
This dazzling exhibition features 70 works including the Walters’ two famed Fabergé Easter eggs, alongside a stunning array of gold and silver vessels, intricate enamels, luxurious jewelry, carved stones, and icons that illuminate the beauty, technical sophistication, and artistry of Russian crafts. After Fabergé is an exhibition that runs concurrently with Fabergé and the Russian Crafts Tradition at the Walters. See 5 large-scale digital prints by artist Jonathan Monaghan. A digital animator by training, Monaghan creates finely crafted, virtual versions of the famous Fabergé Imperial Easter eggs.
7. On Your Feet!
January 9 2018 - January 28 2018
The Kennedy Center
2700 F Street, NW Washington, DC, 20566
Emilio and Gloria Estefan came to America from Cuba and broke through all barriers to become a crossover sensation at the very top of the pop music world. But just when they thought they had it all, they almost lost everything. From international superstardom to life-threatening tragedy, On Your Feet! takes you behind the music and inside the real story of this record-making and groundbreaking couple who, in the face of adversity, found a way to end up on their feet. Directed by two-time Tony Award® winner Jerry Mitchell (Kinky Boots), with choreography by Olivier Award winner Sergio Trujillo (Jersey Boys), and an original book by Academy Award® winner Alexander Dinelaris (Birdman), On Your Feet! features some of the most iconic songs of the past quarter century—and one of the most inspiring stories in music history.
8. Martin Luther King Jr Memorial
January 15 2018
8am - 9am
1964 Independence Ave, SW Washington, DC, 20024
This weekend is a great time to visit the Memorial. National Park Service Rangers discuss King's role in the Civil Rights movement daily. The National Park Service will host a wreathlaying service on January 15, 2018, 8-9 a.m. inobservance of the birthday-anniversary for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
9. Yoga At The Zoo
January 14 2018
8am - 10am
1 Safari Pl, Baltimore, MD 21217
Cost: Members $10/Non Members $20
Animals have been a core element of yoga poses for centuries. From downward dog to cow, to lizard, cat and more, wildlife has a deep tie to this ancient practice. Now’s your chance to connect even closer to nature during Yoga at the Zoo. Take part in a 60-minute Vinyasa style yoga class designed for both beginner and intermediate yoga lovers. This special class is created with individualized options to help best support your unique skill level. Yoga at the Zoo will take place at Penguin Coast with views of flowing water and swimming penguins. Your instructor will guide you through gentle poses designed to calm your mind and strengthen your body.
10. Winter Craft Day
January 15 2018
8:30am - 5pm
155 Gibbs St, Rockville, MD 20850
Come hang for a full day of winter fun, ice skating in Rockville Town Square, hot chocolate, and winter themed projects! This creative experience is the perfect break from your child's daily school routine. We provide all the materials, ice skating, and snacks. You provide lunch and an empty box to bring home all the projects.
Arrival and Departure:
From 8:30 - 8:45 am, VisArts staff will be waiting at the front door to receive your child and escort them upstairs.
From 5:00 - 5:15 pm, VisArts will dismiss your child to you at the front door, with their projects.
Ice Skating and Snacks:
Ice Skating is included.
Hot chocolate and a snack will be provided in the afternoon.
** Children are welcome to bring their own snack, but no fee change.
A Typical Day
- 8:30-8:45 Arrival
- Project 1
- Project 2
- 12:00-12:45 LUNCH
- Ice Skating in Rockville Town Center
- Project 3
- Project 4
- 4:50-5:00 Clean Up and Pack Up
- 5:00-5:15 Pick up